WELCOME TO MY HUMBLE BLOG

Feel free to leave comments

Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Class Notes


I had the privilege to attend Kasey’s clinic “Contact Control”, awesome clinic... if you missed it, you missed a lot. Make sure you attend the next one.

Check out his blogs about the class: Contact Control and How to become a werrewolf

This clinic was geared toward law enforcement. At the risk of repeating myself: I am not in LE, I am not military and I am not Batman. While those people need to go toward danger to protect the rest of us, my job is to protect myself and run away from danger. So I need to put my civilian glasses on when I look at what he teaches.

We learned about ranging, positioning and pre-attack indicators. All extremely important basic skills to own. Ranging and positioning work well together.

The threats most female civilian face are coming from predators (both process and resource). The most advantageous place for a predator to be is within “his” range of attack. This is the most dangerous place to be for your safety. If you take this away from him, if you let him stay out of range, you took away his major strength. So we need to learn what this range is, how to stay out of it and how to position yourself in the best possible manner. Kasey made us do some wonderful drills regarding this. I just had to keep in mind that I was not trying to get closer to them but keeping them father away from me. The second part of those drills would be geared toward having failed to keep them at bay, i.e. how to deal with being in the danger zone.

The pre-attack indicators part of the class was the best for me. How important is it to be able to see what’s coming, what could happen? It makes me super human fast if I can head them off at the pass. Kasey is the first one I have ever met that not only described the pre-attack indicators but had us perform drills with them. This was a very powerful exercise, from my point of view anyway. It is one thing to be able to recognize the indicators, but it is another all together to react to them.

Learning to recognize and use pre-attack indicators is like being in a drag race, at the start up lights. First you have the amber lights (the pre-attack indicators) then you have the green light (the attack itself). If you can’t see the amber lights, if you ignore them or if you don’t put yourself in a position and frame of mind that “hey the next one is the green light, I need to be prepared, I need to be the first one with my foot on the gas pedal”….. then ,unless you get very lucky, you will lose the race. Losing a drag race isn’t so bad but losing an attack can mean your life. I don’t know about you but I do not want to leave my life to luck, I want to stack the odds in my favor.

In review…. Awesome class!!! Lots learn, lots of light bulbs being turned on. If you are a teacher, you need to be able to bring about introspection and thoughts stimulation to your students. If you are not… you need to change something.

If you are a student, seek the teachers who will make you ask good solid questions, who will make you take a good hard look at who you are and what you do.

Be smart, stay safe.


1 comment:

  1. Great Blog!
    I have been thinking about what a civilian would gain from the training and you hit the nail on the head.

    If you want to avoid being mugged learn how to mug someone. Learn what a mugger needs to acomplish his job. Deny him those things and you have prevented a mugging.

    Learning how to use asocial (predatory) violence for social reasons teaches you what a predator wants. Deny him those things and you prevent becomeing Prey

    Nice job

    ReplyDelete